Friday was a really rough day for me folks. Let’s just say that I didn’t get any more graceful after dropping the pizza on the kitchen floor.
This was holiday baking weekend for me, as it was for many others. We attempted the following:
- Peanut Butter cookies (with Hershey kiss and with fork-cross-marks)
- Chocolate Chip cookies
- Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Pecan Sandies
- Peppermint Bark
We made all the dough on Saturday. We saved the baking for Sunday. Really, we ran out of time on Saturday. But this worked out well and made it much less stressful. Plus everything got a good chill in the fridge overnight.
Everything went well for the most part. Well, except the part where we are never making Gingerbread again. It was a mess. Literallly. I hate rolling out cookies to use cookie cutters. It never works out well. And we totally over-cooked the gingerbread. It’s so hard to tell when it’s done because it’s already dark! Sigh.
When I said that I was going to do fudge this year, my sister and husband were horrified. You see, last year it didn’t go so well for us. Mostly because I couldn’t find a candy thermometer so I had to just judge for gettting to soft-ball stage. And my recipe told me to cool it completely at some point, so I did. Big mistake.
So I found a sketchy recipe that did not involve a candy thermometer. It went a little something like this:
- In a 3qt casserole dish (which I dont have us I used a 9×9 pyrex) put ingredients in this order:
- Cocoa powder
- 2 pounds of confectioners sugar
- Something else that I cant remember.
- Bake in the oven for some amount of time until the butter is melted (problem, how the heck do I know when the butter is melted!?)
- Carefully pour into large mixing bowl (oops, butter wasnt totally melted)
- Beat in vanilla for 2 minutes
- Pour into whatever you want for your fudge to cool
Amazingly, it’s good. It has to stay in the fridge or it gets melty pretty easy, but at least it tastes right.
I also made a double batch of Chex Mix on Sunday night. I’m pretty baked-out for the time being.