Nursery Progress: A DIY Ottoman

When we bought the glider from Pottery Barn Kids, we decided not to purchase the matching ottoman. I searched around on the Internet for awhile but couldn’t really find anything that I liked. So I decided to make my own.

There are lots of turning-a-coffee-table-into-an-ottoman posts and general info out there on the web, but that’s not the route I wanted to take. First, I didn’t feel like hunting around for a round coffee table that would work as an ottoman and second, I’m kind of impatient.

I found an article on the Better Homes & Gardens website about a DIY ottoman. I read through the steps and loosely based my plan on it.

We have an ottoman on the 3rd floor and I based some initial decisions by testing that one out. The ottoman was 15 inches tall which seemed a good height for the chair. It also helped determine an 18 to 24inch radius. We don’t own a jigsaw, so I was really hoping to find a round table top at the hardware store. Without a jigsaw, I couldn’t buy a plywood square and trim it into a circle. I remembered that Young House Love had transformed a table for their old sunroom by purchasing a new table top from Lowe’s, so I was optimistic that I could get most of my materials there. Indeed, I was able to score a 24inch round table top and four legs with appropriate mounting hardware.

Next I was off to JoAnn’s armed with a 20% off the entire purchase (including sale items!) coupon. I bought 3 pieces of high density foam measuring 22 x 22 x 2. I’m not sure if having the bulk foam custom cut would have been cheaper or not, but since the foam was already 50% off and I had a 20% off coupon, I wasn’t too concerned.

I also bought some batting, but turns out that I had enough batting at home so I’ll be saving the batting that I purchased for another project.

Lots of words and no pictures yet, let’s fix that!

First a height check. We’ve got 6 inches of foam, 1 inch of tabletop, and 7 inches of feet (not pictured). So we’re at 14 inches total. Pretty close to my target height.

IMG_4972.JPG

I have outlined the tabletop on each piece of foam for my cuts.
IMG_4973.JPG
IMG_4974.JPG

And I used scissors to cut the foam to size (and electric knife would have been preferable but we don’t own one). Since my foam sheets were not 24×24, I had 2 sides where I needed to piece together the trimmed off foam to fill things in. This worked fairly well.
IMG_4976.JPG

Next I took the foam out to the garage to spray the layers (and pieces) together with adhesive. I let them set up for a bit and attached the leg hardware. I found the legs in the aisle with trim at the hardware store. These leg plates were right next to them.
IMG_4979.JPG

I positioned them 2 inches in, leaving plenty of room to staple the batting and upholstery.
IMG_4981.JPG

Next, I took the tabletop out to the garage and used the spray adhesive to attach the foam.
IMG_4984.JPG

The next step was applying the batting. I used a double layer and tried to pull it as tight as possible (to smooth out my imperfections with the foam). You need to be careful not to pull too tightly though, the batting can rip.
IMG_4986.JPG

Then I took a week long break and looked at pretty fabric online. Then I got impatient and took a picture of some fabric I found at JoAnn’s for Matt’s approval.
Ottoman fabric

Matt approved, so this past Friday night I headed out to JoAnn’s and bought a yard and a half. I came home and stapled the fabric on.

With the ottoman being round, things aren’t perfectly smooth and there are little pleats all the way around. But you know what, I don’t really care. If we decide to slipcover it in the future, you won’t be able to tell. I still need to paint the legs/feet, but I’m calling this project d-o-n-e. If I were to do it all again, I’d definitely pick up an electric knife for cutting the foam – especially since my ottoman isn’t a square/rectangle.

Ottoman complete!

It brings some nice color to the room (and you can spy the finally-hung curtains!). But the ottoman’s biggest fan is probably Savannah. I’m pretty sure that Savannah thinks everything in the nursery is meant for her. I actually caught her napping in the crib this past Sunday. I’m hoping that she was only lured in there because she couldn’t resist a nap on the quilt that Grammy made for Baby Kesler.

Savannah sized.

And here’s the breakdown:

Tabletop, legs, and leg hardware: $38.03
Foam and batting: $31.46
Home Decor fabric: $12.12
Grand Total: $81.61

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Nursery Progress: A DIY Ottoman

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s